Our Marlborough branch started in April 2014, following the closure of long standing Marlborough firm TH Barnes & Co., when John Tovey (Former TH Barnes Construction Manager) teamed up with Justin Candish of Scott Construction Ltd (Nelson). Together they seized the opportunity to keep key staff from the skilled and experienced TH Barnes team together, adding the backing and resources of the highly successful Scott Group, to create Scott Construction Marlborough Limited.
We’ve quickly become an industry leader in the region, winning contracts for landmark projects such as the Picton Library and the new wing of Chateau Marlborough. Earthquake strengthening has been a huge part of our workload over the last few years. We’ve completed major & complex works at PORSE House, Wairau Hospital and Stadium 2000.
Our ability to share and leverage our relationships, resources and experience across the Scott Group adds to our strength. We are a progressive company with a focus on long term growth. We want to make a positive contribution to our industry and our region. We currently employ over 20 full time staff on sites across the Marlborough region, supported by a small but efficient team in our Blenheim office. Check out www.scottconstruction.co.nz to learn more about the Scott Group.
John joined the industry full time in 1998 after completing his degree at Canterbury University. Since then he has become trade qualified and gained extensive construction programming, collaborative planning, project management, operations and construction divisional management experience.
After being appointed to a Construction Manager role in 2005, he has been involved in project managing over 100 major main contracts in Marlborough and Canterbury, the largest valued at $15M (AFI).
John is a Licensed Building Practitioner and holds Site 3 and Carpentry Licenses. He also has a number of other relevant industry qualifications including a Diploma in Managerial Excellence in Engineering & Construction, Diploma in Frontline Management, Diploma of Business, Certificates in Project and Risk Management and a NZ Certificate in Health and Safety Management.
Some of the major Projects that John has Project Managed for SCM include the NZ Commercial Projects Gold Award winning - Cloudy Bay Pinot Noir Cellar and more recently the Chateau Marlborough Expansion and Alterations.
In his position as Senior Quantity Surveyor Chris Cooper is responsible for preparing tenders & bids for a wide range of projects and he also manages the projects throughout the construction process up until final account.
Working autonomously Chris Cooper is responsible for the commercial construction activities of the business which includes procurement, value engineering, attendance at project committee meetings, preparation of variation & payment claims, project specific reporting and final account negotiations.
Brett joined the industry in 1999 and has 19 years local industry experience, running his own residential building company for 9 of those. Brett is a Past President of Marlborough Certified Builders, serving ten years on the CB Executive after being the youngest ever appointed CB Board member. Brett is highly regarded in the local industry as an extremely diligent, conscientious, knowledgeable and highly organised Site Manager.
Some of the major projects that Brett has Site Managed for SCM include:
- The $2M Seismic Strengthening of 6 storey Porse House Building at 1 Market St in Blenheim in 2014
- $1.5M NMDHB PHO Community Health & Social Hub Project. This involved a 1500m2 refit in 11 weeks in Blenheim’s CBD in 2015
- The $5M upgrade of the 3 storey Arthur Wicks Building for the NMDHB in 2016
- The 2,500m2 $2.5M new Workshop, Implement Store and Amenities development for Delegat’s in 2017
Duncan is passionate about our industry and lives and breathes the addiction. He is vastly experienced, highly organised and takes ownership of the sites he is assigned.
Safety is of paramount importance to Duncan. He often achieves the highest scores in our internal Health & Safety Monthly Site Audits.
He has a genuine interest in Architecture and historical buildings. He has a keen eye for detail and expects and delivers high standards of workmanship across all trades.
Training & Qualifications:
- Licenced Building Practitioner: LBP 120229 – Site 2 and Carpentry since 2012
- Elevated Working Platform (EWP) Unit Standard training 2018
- Height & Harness Unit Standard Training 2018
- Work Place First Certificate 2018
- Site Safe Passport 2018
- Asbestos Awareness Course 2018
Current & Recent projects:
- Awatere Memorial Hall Seddon Upgrade - $3M Architectural renovation and expansion project commenced in August 2018 after an extensive Value Engineering process to meet budget constraints. Included complete reroof and reclad of existing building. Other challenges included lowering of the stage to the same level as the existing auditorium floor. Due for completion in July 2019.
- Ward School Special Needs Modifications - Final Stage: Duncan became involved when the Uniport variation commenced onsite. He formed a good relationship with the School Principal and staff.
Award winning experience:
- Duncan was the Supervisor on the $1.9M restoration of the 120 year old Kilburn House at St Margaret’s College in Christchurch. This was completed on time and on budget. It won a civic award from the Christchurch City Council.
- The Picton Emergency Operations Centre project which Duncan was also supervising, won a gold medal and the overall supreme regional commercial award.
- The Blenheim KFC rebuild project that Duncan was supervising was completed within the agreed 7 week period and on budget. This achievement was recognised by a silver medal in the local commercial project category.